Be prepared for a picture fest! I did not take any picture at the festival unless I really liked what I took. 225 pictures later... and I didn't take a picture of every tree either, just the ones that I really liked!
The annual Festival of Trees. We have been going every year for as long as I can remember. It is one of my favorite things in the world to do. I look forward to this day almost as much as I do Christmas itself. My mom and I take at least 6 hours to go through completely.
For those of you who aren't familiar with it, the Festival is a fundraiser for Primary Children's Hospital. Individuals and groups donate decorated trees to the festival that are than auctioned off. All the proceeds go to the hospital, mainly to help those who can't afford care. The biggest donors are those who have been touched by the care that their family received at PCMC. The trees have stories behind them, that are posted behind the tree's title. We like to read some of the stories, though not all. It can be emotionally taxing to read all of them. Take for instance a cute little penguin tree, covered in penguins, surrounded by bigger penguins, completely adorable. Next to the tree is a picture of the cutest little baby ever. The story begins that this sweet mother made the tree because her little guy loved penguins. He got diagnosed with a rare cancer at 9 months old. He fought it for 6 months and than returned home to our Heavenly Father, and the arms of his own father who had passed away 2 months before he was born in an airplane crash. Even now I am tearing up. So much for one person to bare. Instead of dwelling on the lot that she had been dealt, she so generously donated this lovely tree to help others. What a wonderful example of Christ-like love and charity. These trees represent angels on earth, people who love so unconditionally that even in their greatest time of sorrow they find the strength to uplift others.
My little ones each have their favorite trees too. Alexis is standing next to her teacher's tree. Her teacher, Mrs. Morgan, is on the board of directors for the festival. Alexis was so excited to share a connection with her teacher. Domenic of course is in front of the Superman tree, but I haven't even included the Pez tree (which we spent 30 minutes alone checking out!) I have about 20 pictures of the Pez tree alone! Skyler liked the train/coal tree, which was cool because both his grandpas are represented in the tree (my dad is a coal miner, Brandon's dad is a rail road engineer).
This tree was absolutely amazing! My favorite I think! It was made entirely of glass. The presents next to it were glass as well, and the six trees surrounding it were ornamented in homemade glass ornaments. All the lights were timed with the music that played around it, and the lights changed color! Absolutely awesome! Then I had to include the cute frog tree, because I do love frogs!
Alexis wanted her picture in front of every pink tree! I loved this wreath and would totally put it on my front door. And the saying on the bike was classic. Just ride faster, it never does get easier!
This is the Salt Lake Temple in gingerbread! Neat, and I have never seen a more beautiful picture of Mary and Jesus. I want this for my house! I have the perfect wall for it too!
There you have it, your own little preview of the Festival. Of course, I have so many other photos that I could include, but these will suffice for now. If you ever want to see more, let me know! Merry Christmas!

4 comments:
Wow. I guess I never realized the extent of variety and art involved. Is it still running? I need to do some research and hopefully get up there to see those personally. Thanks for sharing!
Man I can't believe that I had a test that day that I could not miss. Oh I almost forgot about the picture you thought I would Love ha ha (it was pink). Did you like all of the Twilight trees and the frog one I loved It. I can not wait until next year.
I didn't know that it was more than just trees. It would be fun to go one time when we are in Utah. You'll have to get on Picasso and make a collage of all the Festival picts and post it.
i love the festival of trees. isn't it such a great way to kick off the season. love the blog. i'm so glad i seen it on Mel's. i just wanted to let you know that i think of your family often. we are so blessed to be apart of your family. and i wanted to thank you so much for coming to Kamryn's blessing, it meant a lot.
Post a Comment